Friday 28 May 2010

Wild life gardens

Wild life gardens




This is one of the garden types I really love there is nothing I like better that seeing frogs and newts as well as other assorted creatures that i find in the different gardens that I work in .

Many people ask me why they have so few birds like sparrows and starlings in there gardens and why do they have no frogs in there pond.

I have to break the news that it’s the fact that there garden is so weed free and tidy that no wild life would find any cover or any thing interesting to feed from there .

It’s ok to have a light cover of untidiness away from the formality of the house ….the critters that live in your garden don’t need much just enough to keep them slightly hidden from predators like the cat and the sparrow hawk which seems to be everywhere lately.

In my own garden I have areas set aside as wildlife areas and I just manage the mess …… I leave seed heads on flowers when they finish, the finches like these and allow small amounts of plants to grow close to the soil as ground cover I even allow some weeds for periods of time until they look like there going to set seed, the blue tits like these .

My own wildlife area has small ponds all full of local wildlife like newts and two types of frogs ,I also have many areas around the garden for birds to nest we have sparrows all around the house and starlings everywhere

So remember don’t make your garden to tidy if you want to encourage wildlife.

No comments:

Post a Comment